Last summer, Canadians experienced two of the worst natural catastrophes in our history. First, the flooding in southern Alberta, followed a few weeks later by the same in the Greater Toronto Area. Both disasters resulted in thousands of people reporting water damage in their homes.
“Water damage, whether sustained during a severe storm or the spring thaw, is impacting more and more people,” says Henry Hamm,, Director of Underwriting, Personal Insurance at leading property insurer RSA Insurance“I don't think people realize just how much damage water can do, and how disruptive it can be to their lives. But there are a few simple steps homeowners take to help protect their property.”
A few things you should do now:
• Have a licensed plumbing professional install an inline backwater valve to help prevent sewer backup. Check with your municipality regarding any permits required or by-laws that may exist.
• Install a sump pump to prevent ground water from entering your basement. Check the sump regularly to make sure it is functioning properly. If you choose to install an electric sump pump, you will also want to install a battery operated back-up in the event of a power outage, which often happens during a storm.
• Install wire mesh or braided hoses on washing machines and dishwashers to protect from leakage or rupture.
• Keep your drains and toilets free of household grease and other foreign objects that can cause blockage.
• Check with your municipality to see if they offer plumbing inspection services or a subsidy for installing a sump pump or backwater valve.
“When it comes to the exterior of your home, you really want to think about how to keep water away from your house,” continues Hamm. “That means checking your downspouts as its common for them to be knocked away from the house in the winter, as well as making sure that eaves are clear and are properly funneling water away from your house.”
Talk to your broker to make sure you have the appropriate insurance coverage.
More information and assistance with locating a local broker can be found at www.rsagroup.ca.
Content courtesy of www.newscanada.com
The FIELDING TEAM
Your #1 Source For Real Estate!
For all your real estate needs, call The Fielding Team at 905-338-9000 or visit our website at: http://www.thefieldingteam.com
REAL EXPERIENCE, REAL COMMITMENT, REAL ESTATE