How to find the best real estate professional for you
Finding a real estate agent to look out for, or find, your most prized possession requires asking a few pointed questions. Here’s a list of some that are worth asking...
- Is your agent currently licensed and in good standing? It’s a requirement under the Real Estate Business and Brokers Act, 2002. Do your homework and check your prospective agent’s status with the Real Estate Council of Ontario.
- Ask the agent directly for proof of education, experience and credentials.
- Is he or she a member of the local real estate board or association?
- Does the agent belong to the Multiple Listing Service (MLS) and/or a reliable online homebuyer’s search service?
- Is your broker and salesperson insured?
- Is real estate their full-time career?
- What other real estate designations does the agent hold?
- Which party is he or she representing — you or the seller?
- How will the agent help you accomplish your goals? Show you homes that meet your requirements and provide you with a list of the properties he or she is showing you?
- Does the agent have the time to take you on and provide direct attention to you through the whole process, especially if you are a first-time buyer? An agent who’s too busy to work with you and hands you off to their assistant more often than not is probably not a good move.
Start paying attention to the listing signs in your neighbourhood and how quickly a ‘sold’ sign appears. Results matter most.
Word-of-mouth recommendations are also a worthwhile indicator of a respected agent. Ask friends, family, neighbours and coworkers who they have used and how they handled their home buying/selling experiences.
Attend an open house to meet a prospective real estate agent. Chat, observe and take notes on how they conduct themselves.
Keep in mind that the best agent for you doesn't necessarily work at the largest brokerage, close the most transactions or make the most money. He or she is the one who instills the most confidence in you, who you know has your best interests at the forefront and will work intelligently on your behalf.
RE/MAX Agents sell more homes nationwide than any other Brokerage. RE/MAX network and training allows exceptional agents to do an exceptional job. I am an experienced agent with connections and I know how to draw buyers to your home.
Content courtesy of The Oakville Beaver.
For all your real estate needs, call The Fielding Team at 905-338-9000 or visit our website at: http://www.thefieldingteam.com/
The Fielding Team
Your Oakville Real Estate Agents!
Your #1 Source For Real Estate!