It's Time To Give Your Air Conditioner A Spring Check-up!
Switching your thermostat from “heat” to “cool” is usually a sign that summer is fast approaching and it is time to start thinking about your central air conditioning system. According to a recent national survey from the Heating, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Institute (HRAI), only 16 per cent of Canadians bother to make sure their air conditioner is working at optimal capacity. While a yearly check-up is best left to a qualified contractor, there are some things homeowners can do to avoid an ill–timed malfunction of their central air conditioning system, as follows:
• Clean or replace the furnace filter. The air conditioner needs the furnace to circulate the air and a dirty filter circulates dust and other particles throughout the house, cutting down on a furnace's efficiency.
• The thermostat should be set below the room temperature and not set for cooling below 20 degrees Celsius which can cause a multitude of problems with your air–conditioner, including freezing up. Ideally, set the thermostat to 25.5 C when at home; 29 C when away.
• Turn the humidifier off during the summer cooling season. Leaving the humidifier on will only increase the cooling load and force the air conditioner to work harder.
• Close your drapes or shades on sunny days and ensure all windows in the house are closed.
• Close off vents in any unused rooms.
• Use ceiling fans to circulate the air.
• Book a qualified professional to make sure your air conditioning system is operating safely and efficiently. This is done by calling HRAI toll–free at 1–877–467–4724. More information is also available online at www.hrai.ca.
Some government agencies and utilities offer incentives and rebates for homeowners to maintain or replace their air conditioning units. Information on these programs can be found online at www.hrai.ca/rebatesincentives.
Content courtesy of http://www.newscanada.ca website.
The Fielding Team
Your #1 Source for Real Estate!For all your real estate needs, call The Fielding Team at 905-338-9000 or visit our website at: http://www.thefieldingteam.com/
REAL EXPERIENCE, REAL COMMITMENT, REAL ESTATE